Questions and going deeper resources
Connect What is one way this week that you can love someone with a proactive, undeserved, and sacrificial love?
- When was a season in life when you found following Jesus difficult?
Read 1 John 5:1-5
- Who is born of God? Who are the children of God?
- What does it look like to be part of God’s family?
- How does being a child of God give you confidence and security? Can this ever be taken away?
- Whose victory has overcome the world? What does overcome the world mean?
- What connects us to this victory? How can this victory be a source of comfort?
- How do you remember that you are part of God’s family and connected to Jesus’ victory? How would you like to grow into this identity?
Read 1 John 5:6-21
- What is the craziest thing you’ve heard anyone say about Jesus before? Why might it be important to address misconceptions about Jesus?
- What does it mean that Jesus came by water and blood? How is this related to his incarnation?
- Why is the testimony of God important? What is his testimony? How does it give us confidence?
- Have you ever been in a situation where you felt powerless? What made you feel that way? Why are Christians not powerless?
- Why can we have confidence in approaching God?
- What type of prayer does God act on? Will we always see the results of our prayer? Why might believing we know the exact will of God be dangerous?
- How should we respond to brothers and sisters committing a sin? What is sin that leads to death and sin that does not lead to death?
- What has been the most significant part of 1 John for you? How will it shape your following of Jesus?
Apply Set aside time this week to pray for a brother or sister in Christ.
On Your Front Line this Week
How do you remember that your frontline matters to God? If youʼre not sure how it does, ask a friend, and give thanks to God together.
- Download: some of the family resources to use at home: stbartskids.org
Listen, Watch, and Read
- AUDIO: “This is our confidence” by Charlie Skrine
- AUDIO: “Confident because we believe” by David Jackman
- AUDIO: “Growth” by Drew Skolo
- AUDIO: “The love that makes us obedient” by Ed Veale
- Watch: “1-3 John Overview” by the Bible Project
- Learn: “Introduction to 1 John” by the Gospel Coalition
- Read: “The Letters of John (Tyndale New Testament Series)” by John Stott: St Bartʼs Library, Purchase
- Listen: “Confident Christians” Series in 1 John by St Helenʼs Bishopsgate
- Watch: “Johannine Christianity: the Letters” by Open Yale University