Questions and going deeper resources
Connect What is one practical way this week that helps you to remain in Jesus?
- What does our culture think of ʻobedienceʼ? How is obedience to God actually good news?
- When you first think of ʻremainingʼ or ʻcontinuingʼ in Jesus, what first comes to mind?
Read 1 John 2:28-3:3
- To whom does John address this? Why does he ultimately want them to ʻcontinue in Jesusʼ?
- On what basis alone will we be able to stand before Jesus confident and unashamed? Does anything ever cause you to shrink away from God? Why is there no need to shy away from God?
- How has God lavished his love on you? How do you experience that daily?
- In what way is Godʼs love like nothing in this world? How would you describe Godʼs love to others?
- What does it mean to you to be a child of God? In what way is there a ʻnowʼ and ʻnot yetʼ?
- How should our present reality and future hope spur us on to ʻpurifyʼ ourselves? How does this point to the ultimate work of purification by Jesus?
- What helps you to maintain a long-term perspective as you seek to follow Jesus?
Read 1 John 3:4-10
- What does John mean by ʻlawlessnessʼ? In what way does sin show a disregard for Godʼs will?
- How did Jesus take away our sins? If Jesus took away our sin, why then does sin still exist?
- What would you say to someone who was concerned that these verses mean that it is either: (a) impossible for Christians to sin; or (b) our salvation is dependent on not sinning?
- Do you think western Christianity tends to make ʻtoo muchʼ or ʻtoo littleʼ of sin? Why should we seek to throw off sin as much as possible? With whose help do we do it?
- How does disobedience point to being children of evil? In what way does our obedience point to being children of God? What is our true status in Christ?
- In what ways can our faithful living point to the future which awaits? How do you think loving our brothers and sisters can particularly point to this future?
Apply What is one area of your life this week in which you can grow in delight in Godʼs love and grow in obedience (especially by throwing off sin)?
On Your Front Line this Week
How could you share time with someone else over a meal this week?
Download: some of the family resources to use at home: stbartskids.org
Listen, Watch, and Read
- Listen: “Born of Him” by Timothy Keller
- Listen: “Alive from the dead — offer yourselves to God” by Peter Adam
- Listen: “Righteousness” by Charlie Skrine
- Listen: “Look Back Looking Forward” by John Stott
- Watch: “1-3 John Overview” by the Bible Project
- Learn: “Introduction to 1 John” by the Gospel Coalition
- Read: “The Letters of John (Tyndale New Testament Series)” by John Stott: St Bartʼs Library, Purchase
- Listen: “Confident Christians” Series in 1 John by St Helenʼs Bishopsgate
- Watch: “Johannine Christianity: the Letters” by Open Yale University