Questions and going deeper resources
Connect What is one thing you can do this week to revive your worship of God or make it more meaningful?
- Have you ever fallen (or almost falling) for something that ended up being a counterfeit?
- Why do you think people can sometimes be obsessed with theories about the antichrist?
Read 1 John 2:18-23
- What does John mean by ʻthe last hourʼ? Are we in this last hour? How oft en do you think about that?
- Who does John say has already come? What does John mean by the ʻantichristsʼ?
- What were some of the ways that the breakaway group opposed or denied who Jesus was (and is)?
- According to John, what is the standard by which we can discern if someone opposes Jesus?
- Do you think that “antichrists” are still a danger for us to be aware of today? Why or why not?
- Re-Read verse 23. What is the real danger of those who deny Jesus? What is the danger for those who get caught up following what these antichrists claim falsely about Jesus?
- In what way does “adding to” or “subtracting from” the Gospel (e.g., adding additional conditions or new “revelation”) completely undermine the message? Can you think of some examples?
- What should give us confidence that the Gospel we know is sufficient for salvation?
Read 1 John 2:24-27
- What does John implore the recipients of his letter to keep on doing?
- What does it mean to keep remaining in Jesus? Does this mean weʼre saved by our efforts?
- What helps you to keep remaining in the truth of who Jesus is, what heʼs done, and what heʼs promised to do? How could we encourage one another in our remaining in Jesus?
- Who is the ʻanointed oneʼ of God” In what ways have all believers been ʻanointedʼ by God?
- In verse 26, John warns about false teachers who try to deceive believers. How can we discern between true and false teaching in today's world? What helps safeguards us from being led astray?
- How does the gi ft of Godʼs Spirit encourage you in your relationship with God? How does the gi ft of the Holy Spirit help you to delight in the beauty, grace, and justice of Jesus?
Apply What is one practical way this week that helps you to remain in Jesus?
On Your Front Line this Week
How could you share time with someone else over a meal this week?
Download: some of the family resources to use at home: stbartskids.org
Listen, Watch, and Read
- Listen: “Confident because we know the Truth” by William Taylor
- Listen: “The Apocalypse” with Scot McKnight on Undeceptions
- Watch: “1-3 John Overview” by the Bible Project
- Learn: “Introduction to 1 John” by the Gospel Coalition
- Read: “The Letters of John (Tyndale New Testament Series)” by John Stott: St Bartʼs Library, Purchase
- Listen: “Confident Christians” Series in 1 John by St Helenʼs Bishopsgate
- Watch: “Johannine Christianity: the Letters” by Open Yale University