Questions and going deeper resources
Connect What could help you grow in both the understanding and appreciation of the Gospel this Easter?
- Have you had a trip that never seemed to get started or was endlessly delayed? How did that feel?
- What gave Paul the strength and resolve to persist even when things weren’t straight forward?
Read Acts 26:1-11 (Opposing Jesus)
- Why was Paul set on going to Rome? What has been his progress and why has he been so delayed?
- Who is Paul now giving his defence in front of? What is the dilemma that the officials face?
- What does Paul say is the ultimate reason for this trial? What does he mean by this?
- Before becoming a Christian, what was Paul’s backstory? How zealous was he in persecuting Christians?
- Have you ever faced persecution for following Jesus? How do we see (in Jesus’ words to Paul) that opposing Christians can have a personal dynamic of opposing Jesus?
- Before becoming Christians, how are all people somehow positioned in hostility towards God? Is this true even if you are/were indifferent or ignorant of God? Why or why not?
Read Acts 26:12-15 (Encountering Jesus)
- Do you remember a time in which you opposed God in some way? What changed for you?
- What in this account gives us confidence that Paul’s encounter with the risen Jesus was real?
- Why is it important that we can be sure that Jesus rose from the dead? What gives you that confidence?
- In what way is Paul’s encounter with Jesus deeply personal? In what way is that true for everyone?
- What is the meaning of the saying in verse 15? What might have Paul been starting to question?
- How can we both know and experience Jesus? When and how did you first encounter Jesus?
- What was unique about Paul’s encounter? Does that diminish the significance of anyone else’s encounter?
Read Acts 26:16-32 (Following Jesus)
- What did Jesus appoint Paul to do? Who was the audience and what was the goal?
- What does it mean that Paul was a servant and witness? In what ways do we all serve God with our lives?
- How do you think God is at work through you? Who is the audience that God has sent you to?
Apply With one person this week: try sharing your story of encountering Jesus and how you now follow him.