Questions and going deeper resources
CONNECT: What is one way that your prayer life this week can reflect both Jesus’ humanity and divinity more richly?
- What is your most favourite movie of all time and why? What do the characters shape the plot?
- Who do you think are the main characters in the overarching story of the Bible? How do they shape the story of the history of the world?
Read Romans 5:12-14
- How did sin and death enter the world through ‘Adam’? In what way does all of humanity share in these consequences? How are all of us also individually responsible?
- What is sin? How would you explain sin to someone who had never—ever—heard of the concept?
- What are the ways in which we all rebel against God, his rule, and his desires for us?
- What is the consequence of sin? Whilst we might try, how are we incapable of escaping the rule and consequences of sin?
Read Romans 5:15-19
- In what ways is Jesus the ‘new Adam’? What did Jesus do that we (nor anyone else) cannot?
- Try to brainstorm the various ways in which Jesus fulfils where Adam failed.
- If the old Adam opened a ‘way of death’, how does the ‘new Adam’ (Jesus) open a way of life?
- How does the arrival of Jesus shape the entire future course for humanity and creation?
- In what way does Jesus’ obedience (even unto death) have a life-giving (and saving) effect for us?
- How can the way Jesus lived shape how we are to live? Why does it matter?
- In what way is Jesus’ invitation to us an invitation to choose the ‘way of life’? Can we add to the gift that Jesus offers? How can we possibly receive it?
APPLY: If Jesus has opened up for us a ‘way of life’, what is one way that you can bring this invitation for life to others this Christmas?
On Your Frontline This Week: Ask someone what is the most challenging moment of Christmas?
Listen, Watch, and Read:
- WATCH: Seminary Now: Talks on Advent
- LISTEN: “This Broken World and Reigning Grace” by William Taylor
- LISTEN: Series: “Living Right with God”
- READ: “The Shape of Justification” by N T Wright
- READ: “I’m a New Human?” by Andy Patton (the Bible Project)
- Series Overview (PDF & Audiobook)
- Read: “The God who Became Human” by Graham Cole
- Read: “On the Incarnation” by Athanasius
- Read: “What Christians Ought to Believe” by Michael Bird
- Read: “Is Christmas Unbelievable” by Rebecca McLaughlin
- Watch: “The Word Becomes Human” by the Bible Project
- Watch: “The Incarnation (Spoken Word)” by Humble Word
- Listen: A Carols Playlist (curated by the St Bartʼs staff team)