Questions and going deeper resources
CONNECT: What is one practical way (this advent) that can help you to grow in the wonder of the incarnation?
- Think about the most humble person you know. Why do you think they were like this?
- What does our culture think about humility?
Read Philippians 2:6-11
- How does Paul describe what Christ has done for us in these verses?
- What was the nature of Jesus before he became human? How does this make the incarnation all the more wonderful?
- What did he do with his high position of being with God? How is this different from people in authority here on this earth?
- How did Jesus make himself nothing? In becoming human, how was this Jesus emptying himself?
- What did Jesus empty himself of? Why did Jesus have to become human?
- Why is it important that Jesus didnʼt become any less God or any less of a human? How is this of great comfort for you?
- In what ways has our God served us? How is this distinct from other human religions?
- If you were to ask your friends who donʼt know Jesus yet what they thought Christianity was all about, what do you think they would say? Does this align with the picture we see here?
- How could you let them know of the reality of what Jesus has done for us?
Read Philippians 2:1-5
- What would make Paulʼs joy complete? Why do you think that this should be a high priority and hope for the church?
- In what ways might we be tempted to do things for our own praise or our own selfish ambition?
- As we interact with others, what should be the lens through which we think of serving them?
APPLY: How could we grow in our service to others to be more like Jesus over advent?
On Your Frontline This Week: Ask someone what is their favourite moment of Christmas.
Listen, Watch, and Read:
- WATCH: Seminary Now: Talks on Advent
- LISTEN: “Worthy of the Gospel” by Simon Manchester
- LISTEN: “Adopt Jesusʼ Death as the Test of Your Outlook” by Don Carson
- LISTEN: “Humility” by John Stott
- LISTEN: “Imitating the Incarnation” by Tim Keller
- BORROW & READ: “Knowing God” by J.I. Packer
- Series Overview (PDF & Audiobook)
- Read: “The God who Became Human” by Graham Cole
- Read: “On the Incarnation” by Athanasius
- Read: “What Christians Ought to Believe” by Michael Bird
- Read: “Is Christmas Unbelievable” by Rebecca McLaughlin
- Watch: “The Word Becomes Human” by the Bible Project
- Watch: “The Incarnation (Spoken Word)” by Humble Word
- Listen: A Carols Playlist (curated by the St Bartʼs staff team)