Questions and going deeper resources
CONNECT: When you are facing challenge, what most helps you to stand firm and depend on the Lord?
- When was the last time that you experienced a sense of ʻwonderʼ? What is at the heart of wonder?
- What is the ʻincarnationʼ? How is verse John 1:14 a brilliant summary of this event and good news?
Read John 1:1-5
- What are the opening words in Johnʼs Gospel? What do they remind you of?
- Who is the Word? What is the Word like? When did the Word begin?
- What are the ways in which John points to the Sonʼs eternal nature? How is he uniquely qualified to bring us life?
- What is the darkness? How have you experienced that? How is Godʼs light greater than the darkness?
Read John 1:6-14
- How human did the Son become? What evidence do we have that the Son was not merely masquerading as a human, but truly human?
- Do you think people struggle more with Jesusʼ humanity or divinity? Why do you think that is the case?
- Do you ever emphasise Jesusʼ humanity over his divinity (or vice versa)? What could be the effect?
- How is God becoming human a big ʻYESʼ to our humanity and physical world?
- What does John mean by the Word making his dwelling among us? How is it related to the tabernacle?
- What are the implications of Jesus dwelling with us? What significance does that have for you?
- What are the ways that people try to “find God”? How is it through Jesus that we can meet with God?
- Re-Read verse 12. What is the status we can receive from Jesus? How do we become ʻchildren of Godʼ?
- What are the types of filters that prevent or inhibit us from seeing who Jesus is fully? Do you have any filters that particularly are a struggle for you?
- What could help you this year to let the wonder of the incarnation interrupt your life more?
APPLY: What is one practical way (this advent) that can help you to grow in the wonder of the incarnation?
On Your Frontline This Week: Who are you going to invite to CAROLS? Of all events in the year - this is the simplest invite! Maybe you could invite a neighbour, family friend, colleague or someone youʼve just met.
Listen, Watch, and Read:
- WATCH: Seminary Now: Talks on Advent
- LISTEN: Word Became Flesh by Stephen Nichols
- LISTEN: Carols Service Talk by William Taylor
- LISTEN: In the Beginning by Tim Keller
- Series Overview (PDF & Audiobook)
- Read: “The God who Became Human” by Graham Cole
- Read: “On the Incarnation” by Athanasius
- Read: “What Christians Ought to Believe” by Michael Bird
- Read: “Is Christmas Unbelievable” by Rebecca McLaughlin
- Watch: “The Word Becomes Human” by the Bible Project
- Watch: “The Incarnation (Spoken Word)” by Humble Word
- Listen: A Carols Playlist (curated by the St Bartʼs staff team)