Questions and going deeper resources
Connect What is one physical limitation of your body that you wrestle with? How can this be an opportunity to depend on God when you encounter it?
- What types of things is the human mind capable of? What most impresses you about the human mind?
- How can our thoughts have the potential to shape both our longings and our behaviour?
Read Philippians 4:4-7
- What does Paul say we should always do? What does this actually mean?
- What are patterns of prayer and gratitude that help you, even when anxious?
- What does the peace of God do? What does Paul mean that God’s peace guards our hearts and minds?
- Can you think of an example of God’s peace transcending all understanding? Why is this a good gift?
Read Philippians 4:8-9
- What does Paul say we should focus on with our minds? What do you think these things actually mean?
- Can you think of specific examples of what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, excellent, & praiseworthy?
- Is thinking on these things simply the ‘power of positive thinking’ or something more?
- Does your mind ever wander (or fixate) on things incompatible with the ‘mind of Christ’?
- Why do we need to be careful about what we set our minds on? Is there something in particular for you?
- What helps you think more on what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, excellent, & praiseworthy?
- In what way do we need to ‘mind the gap’ between our mind and where Christ is supposed to be? (e.g., consider: virtues, values, vision, identity, and ambition)
- How did Adam and Eve struggle with their limitations of knowing? How is this true for humanity?
- Do you ever struggle with the limitations of knowledge (or knowing)? What do you get most concerned about ‘not knowing’?
- What might help you grow in contentment that God has revealed everything that we need to know?
Apply Are there any unhealthy patterns of thinking (or things that occupy unhealthy proportions of your thinking) that could be reshaped more in the likeness of the mind of Christ? Try reshaping this thinking habit.
On Your Front Line this Week
What opportunities do you have this week to demonstrate kindness? Pray for opportunities to show God's kindness.
- Download: some of the family resources to use at home: stbartskids.org
Listen, Watch, and Read
- Book: “The end of Thinking?” by Dr Mark Stephens
- Listen: “The Only Thoughts Worth Thinking” by William Taylor
- Listen: “Knowledge and the Love of God” by Tim Keller
- Listen: Podcast Episode: “Is the Bible Enough?” — especially exploring the limitations of knowledge
- Read: “You’re Only Human” by Kelly Kapic (also available in the library)
- Read: “Between the Tick and the Tock” by Michael Jensen
- Read: “Becoming Friends of Time” by John Swinton (also available in the library)
- Listen: “Whole” Series by St Barnabas on Broadway
- Listen: “Being Human” by Redeemer
- Watch: “Being a Body: With Sam Allberry” by Single Minded Conference