Questions and going deeper resources
CONNECT: Is there one area in which you are most likely to doubt that God is working out his purposes? How could you hand this over to the Lord and grow in your confidence that the Lord will fulfil his promises?
- What are the most common ways in which our culture teaches us to discover our true self?
- How has knowing God helped you to have a clearer understanding of yourself?
Read Isaiah 6:1-7
- Who was King Uzziah? How does he compare to the Lord? Why might Isaiah be making this contrast?
- How does Isaiah describe the throne room of God? How do the various aspects reflect Godʼs character?
- What is the refrain of the seraphim? What does ʻholyʼ mean and what is the significance of the repetition?
- How does Isaiah respond to the glory of God? Why was Isaiah afraid at the sight of the Lord?
- Should we be afraid of the presence of the Lord? Why or why not?
- Do we ever have a tendency to underestimate the height of Godʼs glory and/or the depth of our sin?
- What helps you to have and delight in a right view of self and God?
- What are seraphim? What is the significance of the coal from the altar? How is this a provision of God?
- How has God taken away our guilt through Jesus? How have we been made holy?
- How do you know the presence of God and how have you experienced his grace?
Read Isaiah 6:8-13
- How keen is Isaiah to respond to Godʼs call? Why was he not enthralled with the task?
- What task was God sending Isaiah to do? Have you ever felt reluctant to respond to Godʼs call?
- Do you think that God was being unfair in what needed to be proclaimed? Why or why not?
- Has following the call of Jesus ever involved you rearranging any aspects of your life? Are there any parts of your life that you feel reluctant to reorientate in service of the Lord?
- Whilst a message of judgement, how is the promise of a ʻholy seedʼ a sign of hope?
APPLY: What are the ways in which God has called you to serve him? (You might also like to take the opportunity to ask the opinion of some trusted Christian friends.)
On Your Frontline This Week: What is a small or big joy on your frontline? Take time to thank God and celebrate it with someone else!
Listen, Watch, and Read:
- Listen: “The Transforming Vision” by David Jackman
- Listen: “To a people in darkness” by Rico Tice
- Listen: “Cleansed and Commissioned” by Nigel Beynon
- Watch: “Can Judgement by Hopeful” by N T Wright
- Listen: (PAID) “The Kingdom and its King” by Rory Shiner
- Series Resource Guide: Isaiah - The Promise of The Messiah
- Watch & Read: The Bible Project: Isaiah Overview
- Learn: The Ridley Certificate: Isaiah
(Check St Bart’s Training Centre for upcoming courses: stbarts.com.au/training-centre)
- Commentary: “Isaiah for Everyone” by John Goldingay
- Advanced Commentary: “The Prophecy of Isaiah” by J. Alex Motyer
- Advanced Commentary: “Isaiah: In Context and throughout Ages” by B. Witherington III