Questions and going deeper resources
Connect Make a list of the ways you have seen God work in and through your life.
- What are the things that you think most give Australians a sense of security? Is it enough?
- What are the things that you’re tempted to make a foundation for your security?
Read Jeremiah 7:1-4;12-15
- Where did the Lord tell Jeremiah to ‘proclaim this message’? How was it both a prime and precarious location? Would there be a modern day equivalent?
- At the heart of the Lord’s message—through Jeremiah—what were the people’s main two failings?
- What was the Lord calling the people of Israel to do? What does it look like to “reform” our ways?
- What were the deceptive words that had been proclaimed? How was this a reflection of their trust in the Temple? Why did they think the presence of the Temple was an assurance of their security?
- What was the Temple? Was God dependent on the Temple?
- How did a misplaced trust in the Temple cause an inconsistency in their lives and worship?
- Does your trust in God ever waver? Why is he worthy of our trust? What helps you renew your trust in God?
Read Jeremiah 7:5-11
- How extensive was the people’s disobedience? Why was this type of hypocrisy so dangerous?
- How does God expect us to both listen and obey? Is our salvation dependent on our performance?
- How is our obedience part of living in God’s grace? How have you known this to be true?
- When do you most struggle to live in accordance with God’s ways? How can we encourage one another?
Read Jeremiah 7:16-20
- How perverted had the Israelites worship become? Try to look through and name all of the examples.
- How was their worship not only abhorrent but also ultimately worthless?
- Do you think we can ever fall into the trap of worshipping false things? What do you think are the common idols of our culture? What helps you to identify when your heart is in ‘idol manufacturing mode’?
- Read Matthew 21:12-13. Why did Jesus quote these verses? In what way was Jesus the fulfilment of the Temple? How did he take the words of judgement on himself for our salvation?
Apply What is one way this week that you could delight in the security we can have through Jesus?
On Your Front Line this Week
Invite someone along to join you for the Alpha Launch Party! Monday Oct 9, with drinks & dinner from 6:15pm. RSVP at stbarts.com.au/alpha
- Download: some of the family resources to use at home: stbartskids.org
Listen, Watch, and Read
- Listen: “Rabbit’s Foot Religion” by Andrew Sach: https://www.st-helens.org.uk/resources/talk/54831/
- Listen: “The Lord comes to his Temple” by David Turner: https://www.allsouls.org/Media/AllMedia.aspx?show_media=51042&show_file=53228
- Read: “Idolatry | Wilderness Wanderings” by Nell Goddard: https://licc.org.uk/resources/wilderness-wanderings-4/
- Watch: “Jeremiah’s Famous Temple Sermon” by the Bible Project: https://bibleproject.com/articles/jeremiahs-famous-temple-sermon/
- Website: The Bible Project: https://bibleproject.com/explore/video/jeremiah/
- Commentary: “Jeremiah for Everyone” by John Goldingay: https://bit.ly/46eJ8LV
- Commentary: “The Message of Jeremiah” by Chris Wright: https://bit.ly/3PAIGQQ
- Sermons: “Jeremiah” by St Helens Bishopsgate: https://www.st-helens.org.uk/resources/series/4914/
- Lecture: “Reflections on Jeremiah” by Chris Wright: https://bit.ly/46k6RdG