Questions and going deeper resources
Connect How can you put into practice a way of guarding against false prophecy?
- What does it feel like to have your advice repeatedly ignored?
- How do international events impact on your faith and sense of well-being?
Read Jeremiah 25:1-6
- How did international events contribute to the impact of Jeremiah’s message?
- What does Jeremiah emphasise at the beginning of this chapter?
- How was God’s patience demonstrated?
- How is God’s patience not merely waiting? Why is this important?
- God’s patience is, in fact, an invitation to...?
- How has God shown patience in your life?
Read Jeremiah 25:7-11
- What is the reason for God’s judgement? How do we know this is serious?
- How does God make it clear he is in control?
- What does the language used to describe the destruction of Judah say about God’s judgement?
- Discuss the idea of consequences as a form of discipline and a pathway to growth.
- Reflect on moments in your life where repentance led to a sense of God's grace and restoration.
Read Jeremiah 25:17-29
- What conditions does God set for the restoration of his people?
- How does God demonstrate grace through this prophecy?
- How does this prophecy depict the balance between God's justice and mercy?
- Why does God’s judgement extend beyond his people to all nations?
- How does Jesus “drink from the cup” that we deserve?
- Do you have confidence that, in Jesus, we no longer fear God’s judgement?
Apply How can we balance justice and mercy in our relationships and interactions this week?
On Your Front Line this Week
Invite someone along to join you for the Alpha Launch Party! Monday Oct 9, with drinks & dinner from 6:15pm. RSVP at stbarts.com.au/alpha
- Download: some of the family resources to use at home: stbartskids.org
Listen, Watch, and Read
- Listen: “The Cup of Wrath” by David Jackman: https://www.st-helens.org.uk/resources/talk/54850/audio/
- Read: “Getting Wrath Right” by Chris Kugler: https://www.christianitytoday.com/scot-mcknight/2021/april/getting-wrath-right.html
- Listen: “A Cup of Wrath?” by the Bible Project: https://bibleproject.com/podcast/a-cup-of-wrath/
- Watch: “How to Read the Prophets” by the Bible Project: https://bibleproject.com/explore/video/the-prophets/
- Website: The Bible Project: https://bibleproject.com/explore/video/jeremiah/
- Commentary: “Jeremiah for Everyone” by John Goldingay: https://bit.ly/46eJ8LV
- Commentary: “The Message of Jeremiah” by Chris Wright: https://bit.ly/3PAIGQQ
- Sermons: “Jeremiah” by St Helens Bishopsgate: https://www.st-helens.org.uk/resources/series/4914/
- Lecture: “Reflections on Jeremiah” by Chris Wright: https://bit.ly/46k6RdG