Questions and going deeper resources
Connect What is one way this week that you can seek the shalom of our city through action or prayer this week?
- What is your longest lasting friendship? What are the reasons some of your friendships have ended?
- Who always fails in the relationship between God and his people? In what ways?
Read Jeremiah 31:31-32 — A Broken Covenant
- What is a covenant? Can you think of some everyday types of covenants?
- What example of God’s covenant is given? What were God’s actions and what were the people’s actions?
- How was the covenant broken? Did the fault lay with the covenant or the people?
- Why was it impossible to fix the covenant without God’s help?
Read Jeremiah 31:33-34 — The New Covenant
- What comes to mind when you hear the phrase new covenant?
- Who puts the law in their hearts and minds? Why was an inward change necessary? For what end?
- In what ways have you seen the Lord change your heart and mind?
- What does it look like to be the people of God? What does that look like on your frontline?
- Who is the new covenant for? Are you ever tempted to restrict who you think God includes?
- How would you describe your relationship with God at the moment?
- Think about your most recent challenge or joy. How did you rely on yourself or rely on God?
Read Jeremiah 31:34 — The Way God Will Provide
- What does the word ‘for’ point to in the passage? Why is forgiveness needed? Why did this need to come from God?
- Read Luke 22:20. How did God provide forgiveness? How does this assure us of God’s forgiveness?
- Have you ever needed to be forgiven? How has God’s forgiveness shaped how you have forgiven others?
- What would you say to someone who thought God was demanding and pushy? How does God demonstrate his love for his people?
Apply Spend time reviewing how God has changed you over the past 1, 5, or 10 years, and give thanks!
On Your Front Line this Week
Invite someone along to join you for the Alpha Launch Party! Monday Oct 9, with drinks & dinner from 6:15pm. RSVP at stbarts.com.au/alpha
- Download: some of the family resources to use at home: stbartskids.org
Listen, Watch, and Read
- Listen: “New Covenant in my Blood” by Jill Firth: https://ridleychapel.transistor.fm/episodes/new-covenant-in-my-blood-jeremiah-31-21-34-luke-22-14-20-jill-firth
- Listen: “The New Covenant” by David Jackman: https://www.st-helens.org.uk/resources/talk/54891/
- Listen: “A New Heart” by David Turner: https://www.allsouls.org/Media/AllMedia.aspx?show_media=49640&show_file=57362
- Listen: “Our Covenant God” by Timothy Keller: https://gospelinlife.com/downloads/our-covenant-god-6086/
- Read & Watch: “The Five Covenants God Makes with Humans in the Bible” by the Bible Project https://bibleproject.com/articles/covenants-the-backbone-bible/
- Website: The Bible Project: https://bibleproject.com/explore/video/jeremiah/
- Commentary: “Jeremiah for Everyone” by John Goldingay: https://bit.ly/46eJ8LV
- Commentary: “The Message of Jeremiah” by Chris Wright: https://bit.ly/3PAIGQQ
- Sermons: “Jeremiah” by St Helens Bishopsgate: https://www.st-helens.org.uk/resources/series/4914/
- Lecture: “Reflections on Jeremiah” by Chris Wright: https://bit.ly/46k6RdG