Questions and going deeper resources
Connect Be on the lookout this week for any boasting (be it in your heart and with your words). How can you direct any false boasting into a boasting in the Lord?
- What are some of the most common types of ‘false prophecies’ today?
- What do you usually think about when you hear someone is a prophet? What is the role of Jeremiah?
Read Jeremiah 23:9-15
- How does Jeremiah feel about people’s trust in false prophets? What does verse 9 mean?
- What are the things in Jeremiah (so far) that we’ve seen the people of God falsely trusting in?
- How does Jeremiah describe the prophets in these verses? If these prophets were so corrupt, how do you think it was possible for the people to be so readily misled?
- Are we immune from being duped or enticed by false prophets today? Read 2 Timothy 4:3-4.
What might be some things our ‘itching ears’ want to hear but are not affirmed in the Bible?
- Do you think there are ever times in which you might want to believe something which is proclaimed, even though you might know (heart-of-hearts) that it is not true?
Read Jeremiah 23:16-32
- What should our response be to false prophets? What does it really mean “not to listen to them”?
- What are some of the ways that we can “spot” a false prophet? How can we “spot a false prophet” through: the fruit of their living; the content of their message; and the source of their authority?
- How important is it for us to test any spiritual claims against what we read in the Bible? How could we encourage one another to work through things such as these together?
- When is it sometimes hard to discern if something is a false prophecy? What could help?
Read Jeremiah 23:1-8
- Why must God judge the people? What signals hope of an ultimate rescuer that awaits?
- Whilst kings, priests, and prophets have failed, who will God ultimately send to rescue us?
- How can we be confident that we can know all that we need in order to be saved?
Apply How can you put into practice a way of guarding against false prophecy?
On Your Front Line this Week
Invite someone along to join you for the Alpha Launch Party! Monday Oct 9, with drinks & dinner from 6:15pm. RSVP at stbarts.com.au/alpha
- Download: some of the family resources to use at home: stbartskids.org
Listen, Watch, and Read
- Listen: “Lying hearts” by John Stott: https://allsouls.org/Media/AllMedia.aspx?show_media=49639&show_file=58155
- Listen: “The prophets God did not send” by Andrew Sach: https://www.st-helens.org.uk/resources/talk/54842/
- Read: “How to Read the Prophets” by the Bible Project: https://bibleproject.com/explore/video/the-prophets/
- Read: “The Problem of False Prophets in Africa”: by Moses Owowjaiye (Lausanne) https://lausanne.org/content/lga/2019-11/problem-false-prophets-africa
- Website: The Bible Project: https://bibleproject.com/explore/video/jeremiah/
- Commentary: “Jeremiah for Everyone” by John Goldingay: https://bit.ly/46eJ8LV
- Commentary: “The Message of Jeremiah” by Chris Wright: https://bit.ly/3PAIGQQ
- Sermons: “Jeremiah” by St Helens Bishopsgate: https://www.st-helens.org.uk/resources/series/4914/
- Lecture: “Reflections on Jeremiah” by Chris Wright: https://bit.ly/46k6RdG