Questions and going deeper resources
Connect What is one way this week that you could delight in the security we can have through Jesus?
- What is boasting? Why do you think we’re not fond of people boasting in Australia?
- What kind of things do people most often boast about? Is there anything you’re tempted to boast about?
- How can boasting point to where we derive our ultimate value and worth?
Read Jeremiah 9:3-26
- What are the three things that the Lord says we should not boast in? How would the boasting of God’s people (in their wisdom, strength, and riches) come unstuck?
- Do you think people still boast about these three things? Why do you think that is the case?
- How is it foolish to derive our value and worth from our intellect, strength, or wealth?
- What are the things that we should delight in? How could you take pleasure in these things instead?
- When we feel tempted to boast in things such as these, how is it an opportunity to give thanks to the one who is the source of any wisdom, strength, or resources that we steward?
Read Jeremiah 10:1-5
- How were God’s people mirroring the worshipping practices of ‘the nations’?
- What does Jeremiah say about the effectiveness of boasting (or worshipping) idols? How is the reference to a scarecrow in a cucumber field making a mockery of such boasting?
- If idols are—created, fake, dead, powerless, and temporary—how does this compare to God?
- Whilst we may not have idols like those mentioned here, does that mean we’re immune from idolatry?
Read Jeremiah 10:6-16
- How is boasting in the Lord a great antidote to idolatry?
- What are some of the reasons that Jeremiah gives us to help us boast in the Lord?
- How does boasting in God help you to be reminded that the Lord is the source of our value and worth?
- When you’re tempted to boast, what could be a good response to help you boast in a godly way?
- Read 1 Corinthians 1:20-25. Why can we have such confidence as we boast in Jesus?
Apply Be on the lookout this week for any boasting (be it in your heart and with your words). How can you direct any false boasting into a boasting in the Lord?
On Your Front Line this Week
Invite someone along to join you for the Alpha Launch Party! Monday Oct 9, with drinks & dinner from 6:15pm. RSVP at stbarts.com.au/alpha
- Download: some of the family resources to use at home: stbartskids.org
Listen, Watch, and Read
- Listen: “Design your own god” by Andrew Sach: https://www.st-helens.org.uk/resources/talk/54836/audio/
- Listen: “The Sickness Unto Death” by Tim Keller: https://gospelinlife.com/downloads/the-sickness-unto-death-6248/
- Listen: “The idolatrous heart” by Paul Williams: https://www.allsouls.org/Media/AllMedia.aspx?show_media=150460&show_file=240986
- Website: The Bible Project: https://bibleproject.com/explore/video/jeremiah/
- Commentary: “Jeremiah for Everyone” by John Goldingay: https://bit.ly/46eJ8LV
- Commentary: “The Message of Jeremiah” by Chris Wright: https://bit.ly/3PAIGQQ
- Sermons: “Jeremiah” by St Helens Bishopsgate: https://www.st-helens.org.uk/resources/series/4914/
- Lecture: “Reflections on Jeremiah” by Chris Wright: https://bit.ly/46k6RdG