Questions and going deeper resources
CONNECT: What are some opportunities that you can take up to further grow in 2020?
- Why do you think money is such a potentially sensitive topic in churches? Was it for Jesus?
- Is financial giving the only way in which we serve God’s church? Why then is it still important?
READ 2 Corinthians 8:1-15
- What had the Corinthians promised to do? How did they compare to the Macedonians?
- How is it evident that our giving is voluntary? How keen were the Macedonians to give?
- Do you think cheerful giving is possible? Can you think of people who are examples of cheerful giving?
- Which best describes how you approach giving (don’t feel pressured to share!): Eagerly? With pleasure and in gratitude? Willingly? As a moral obligation? Rather reluctantly?
- What do you think is the difference between making a donation and making a sacrifice? Are there some practical ways that you could spend less in order to give more?
- Does the old system of a 10% tithe have relevance today? How are we discern what we are to give?
- Read 1 Corinthians 16:2. How often were the Corinthians instructed to put aside money for giving? What is the benefit both for us and the local church when our giving is regular?
READ 2 Corinthians 9:6-15
- In what was is giving ‘sowing’? How is the promise of a harvest not grounds for expecting that God will make us ‘healthy and wealthy’? What’s the difference between having sufficient versus having surplus?
- How is our giving an expression of gratitude to God for his generosity? Do you see grace, gratitude, and generosity working together?
- How can greed be quite hidden in our culture in our lives? What is the real problem with greed? How is generosity a great antidote for greed?
- Why (think culturally and personally) is it sometimes so hard to give away our money? Why is it sometimes easier to have tight fists rather than open hands?
- How is our giving to God an investment in a bigger vision? What are some of the ways that our church could be transformed by an even greater generosity than what people give now?
APPLY: How can you excel more in generosity?
On Your Frontline This Week: How would you like to grow as a disciple on one (or more) of your frontlines this year?
- LISTEN: Christian Generosity” by Philip Jensen
- LISTEN: “How do we find true security in an uncertain world?
- WATCH: “Jesus and Money”
- WATCH: “Generosity” from the Bible Project
- “How the Gospel Makes Us Generous” by Zach Nielsen:
- “Materialism is Easy to Decry and Hard to Avoid” by Kathy Keller:
- “4 Money Principles for Millennials” by Ron Blue and Michael Blue:
Other Helpful Resources (For Series):