Questions and going deeper resources
Connect Write a note of Johnʼs things we can know for sure and put them somewhere prominent this week.
- How does the beauty of creation help you worship God? Share a moment youʼve had with the group?
- How does worshipping with other Christians help you worship God? Share an example with the group.
Read Psalm 96:1-6
- What call introduces the psalm? What does the repetition in this psalm emphasise?
- What can cause our personal worship or our involvement with church worship to become stale or boring?
- How can we sing a new song to God? How far did the psalmist want the praise of Godʼs people to extend?
- Do you find it difficult to acknowledge or praise God in public? Why or why not? How is worship and witness connected?
- What reasons did the psalm writer give to the Israelites to praise the Lord? Do these reasons prompt you to tell others about your faith?
- How can we proclaim “Godʼs salvation day a er day” and “declare his glory”?
Read Psalm 96:7-10
- What does the psalm call the nations to do? What does the repetition here emphasise?
- What are some ways in which we could ascribe glory to God in our daily and public lives?
- What do these verses and the preceding ones say about God and his character?
- What message does God have for the nations? Do you feel confident sharing this message?
- How do the nations (and how do we) fear the Lord?
Read Psalm 96:11-13
- What will motivate creation to praise the Lord?
- How is the judgement of the Lord described?
- What does our belief in Christʼs return mean for our daily acts of praise of God?
Apply What is one thing you can do this week to revive your worship of God or make it more meaningful?
On Your Front Line this Week
What has God been teaching you on your frontlines? Spend some time giving thanks.
Listen, Watch, and Read
- FOCUS Materials: All of the FOCUS materials (including Psalm 96) will be available at www.stbarts.com.au/focus2023
- LISTEN: “A New Song for the Nations” by Chris Wright: https://www.allsouls.org/Media/AllMedia.aspx?show_media=52073&show_file=54941
- LISTEN: “Say Among the Nations” by Aneirin Glyn: https://www.st-helens.org.uk/resources/talk/51766/