Questions and going deeper resources
Connect Pray that the Spirit might reveal an area of your life that you are holding back from following Jesus.
- What do you do when you are feeling weary or worn-out? Has this been helpful?
- What does our culture suggest is the best antidote to weariness?
Read Matthew 11:25-30
- What is Jesus’ invitation? Who is invited to come to him?
- What are the characteristics of Jesus that mean it is safe to come to him? How does this match your understanding of Jesus?
- What was a yoke used for in the first century? What particular ‘yokes’ were the people Jesus was speaking to experiencing? How is Jesus’ yoke different?
- What are the sort of things that we can be ‘yoked’ to? What does it mean to be yoked to Jesus instead?
- How might our plans and our will get in the way of coming to Jesus?
- What is Jesus’ relationship with the Father? Why can Jesus be entrusted with our burdens?
- What evidence do we have of Jesus’ authority, love, and care?
- When has been a time or season when you have brought Jesus your worries and burdens? What difference did it make?
- Are you currently weary and/or burdened in some way? How could you respond to Jesus’ invitation and lay your burdens on him?
- Who on your frontline is weary or burdened? How might Jesus’ invitation be good news for them?
- What is the ultimate rest that we look forward to?
- What joy does it give you to know that Jesus has secured the ultimate rest for you?
- What does your current practice of rest look like? How could it be reshaped by Jesus’ invitation to come to him?
Apply How could you respond to Jesus’ invitation and lay your burdens on him?
On Your Front Line this Week
How does following Jesus change your priorities? Try to share it with a friend this week.
- Download: some of the family resources to use at home: stbartskids.org
- Sing: Follow Me (Preschool Worship Song)
- Watch: “Peter Fishes for Men” by Crossroads Kids’ Club
Listen, Watch, and Read
- AUDIO: “The Great Promise - Rest for Your Soul” by Timothy Keller
- AUDIO: “Rest for your soul” by Jago Wynee
- AUDIO: “Stress” by Chris Wright
- READ: “The Power of Deep Rest” by Timothy Keller
- READ: “Gentle and Lowly” by Dane Ortlund
- Read: “Deep Roots of Resilient Disciples” by Rick Hill (borrow from the library)
- Read: “The Radical Disciple” by John Stott (borrow from the library)
- Watch: “6M People” by LICC, short videos of people following Jesus on their frontlines as a cab driver, bridalwear designer, retiree, anaesthetist, plumber, new mother, business owner, and barista.
- Listen: “Invitations of Jesus” Series by All Souls Langham Place
- Invite another: “Introducing Jesus”, a 4-week series exploring Jesus’ life, message, death, and invitation.