Questions and going deeper resources
Connect Set aside time this week to pray for a brother or sister in Christ.
- When do you remember responding to the call to follow Jesus?
Read Matthew 4:18-22
- If you were going to pick people for an important mission, what skills, training, or background would you like them to have?
- Who does Jesus call to follow him in this section? What were they doing? What does this tell us about who God uses for his mission?
- How quickly do the two sets of brothers respond to Jesus? Would you have responded the same way? Why or why not?
- How can Jesus’ call to follow him disrupt our priorities and sense of purpose?
- How has following Jesus changed your priorities?
- What might have been the social and economic costs of these brothers following Jesus?
- How has following Jesus been costly to you? Do you think there is anything you hold back?
- What was Jesus calling the fishermen to do? What would fishing for people include?
- Is Jesus’ invitation unique to the disciples? Why does it apply to us?
- Who (ultimately) does Jesus call to follow him? What role do we also play in God’s mission to the world?
- What are the frontlines Jesus has called you to follow him? Right now, is there a distinct community, person, or situation that you think God may have placed you in?
- Is there any area of your life that you find it difficult to apply Jesus’ invitation to follow him and make disciples?
- Why can we entrust Jesus with the trajectory of our lives? How is this different from what society tells us?
- What habit, rhythm, or discipline reminds you of who you follow?
Apply Pray that the Spirit might reveal an area of your life that you are holding back from following Jesus.
On Your Front Line this Week
How does following Jesus change your priorities? Try to share it with a friend this week.
- Download: some of the family resources to use at home: stbartskids.org
- Sing: Follow Me (Preschool Worship Song)
- Watch: “Peter Fishes for Men” by Crossroads Kids’ Club
Listen, Watch, and Read
- AUDIO: “Come, Follow Me” by Abraham Cho
- AUDIO: “The Summons of God’s Worldwide Ruler” by William Taylor
- WATCH: Tridiv’s Baptism Interview about Following Jesus
- READ: “The One About… 8 Stories about God in our everyday” by Mark Greene
- Read: “Deep Roots of Resilient Disciples” by Rick Hill (borrow from the library)
- Read: “The Radical Disciple” by John Stott (borrow from the library)
- Watch: “6M People” by LICC, short videos of people following Jesus on their frontlines as a cab driver, bridalwear designer, retiree, anaesthetist, plumber, new mother, business owner, and barista.
- Listen: “Invitations of Jesus” Series by All Souls Langham Place
- Invite another: “Introducing Jesus”, a 4-week series exploring Jesus’ life, message, death, and invitation.