Questions and going deeper resources
Connect How could you respond to Jesus’ invitation and lay your burdens on him?
- What do you do when you are feeling weary or worn-out? Has this been helpful?
- What does our culture suggest is the best antidote to weariness?
Read Matthew 28:16-20
- Who met Jesus on the mountain? What were the varying responses of the disciples?
- Is it surprising that - as a group - worship was intermingled with doubt? How can this be true for us?
- By what authority does Jesus’ commission the disciples? Is anything outside of Jesus’ authority?
- What difference does it make that we are commissioned by Jesus’ authority and not our own? How might that increase our confidence and courage?
- What does Jesus send his disciples to do? Which is the main action (hint: it is the second verb of v.19) and which are the supporting actions?
- Where were the disciples sent to follow Jesus’ commission? Was any place (or people) excluded?
- Where has Jesus sent you to make and mature disciples? What are your frontlines? Are there parts of your life that you don’t think are relevant to Jesus’ commission?
- How is the great commission a whole-of-life and life-long endeavour?
- What do you think it looks like in practice to teach disciples to obey everything that Jesus has commanded? Does this include them to be disciple-making disciples?
- Do we go alone? Who is with us?
- When has been a moment that Jesus’ presence and power has been a comfort to you? How is it a comfort to you today? How does it sustain us to continue on?
- What aspect of the great commission would you like to grow in?
- How could Jesus’ commission be reflected as a greater priority in your own life?
Apply Who are three people on your frontlines who you long to become followers of Jesus? How can you cultivate a habit of praying for them daily?
On Your Front Line this Week
How does following Jesus change your priorities? Try to share it with a friend this week.
- Download: some of the family resources to use at home: stbartskids.org
- Sing: Follow Me (Preschool Worship Song)
- Watch: “Peter Fishes for Men” by Crossroads Kids’ Club
Listen, Watch, and Read
- AUDIO: “The Authority of the Risen Lord” by John Stott
AUDIO: “Why Jesus when there are so many options?” by Kanishka Raffel
AUDIO: “The Marks of Mission” by Chris Wright
AUDIO: “The Great Commission: Conversation with Chris Wright” by Samford University
ARTICLE: “What is a Whole-Life Disciple?” by the London Institute of Contemporary Christianity
REPORT: “Australia’s Changing Spiritual Landscape” by McCrindle Research (2021)
- Read: “Deep Roots of Resilient Disciples” by Rick Hill (borrow from the library)
- Read: “The Radical Disciple” by John Stott (borrow from the library)
- Watch: “6M People” by LICC, short videos of people following Jesus on their frontlines as a cab driver, bridalwear designer, retiree, anaesthetist, plumber, new mother, business owner, and barista.
- Listen: “Invitations of Jesus” Series by All Souls Langham Place
- Invite another: “Introducing Jesus”, a 4-week series exploring Jesus’ life, message, death, and invitation.