Questions and going deeper resources
Connect Read 1 John, asking God to shine light in your heart so you may know how to walk in his ways more.
- How did you first come to ʻknowʼ the good news about Jesus? What has helped you grow and experience the reality of that relationship more?
- What is the most powerful way that someone in Christian community has shown you Godʼs love?
Read 1 John 2:3-6
- What does John mean by ʻknowing that we have come to know Godʼ? How is knowing God a fuller (but not lesser) experience than just knowing the truth about salvation?
- How does John say that we come to “know that we have come to know him”? How does obedience help us to experience the assurance of salvation rather than earning salvation?
- Does this mean that we need to be perfectly obedient? Since becoming a Christian, do you think that your life has been characterised more or less in obedience to Jesus? Is there someone you could ask?
- In what ways have you come to know God better through obedience?
- In what ways are Godʼs commands (and Word) an expression of Godʼs love for us and the world?
- What does John mean when he says that we ʻmust live as Jesus didʼ? How do you find this challenging?
- Are there any parts of your life (or frontlines in which you serve) in which you have been reluctant or remiss in holding the Gospel up against it? How might the Gospel transform it?
Read 1 John 2:7-11
- What is the old command that John is referring to? In what way is it also new?
- What is the standard of love by which we are to love our brothers and sisters? Is there any way at the moment that you are finding this challenging? What could help you?
- If loving one another is so important, is it possible for us to live faithfully and withdraw from interacting with other Christians? How high of a priority should gathering with other Christians be?
- Why is hatred of a brother or sister in Christ incompatible with living in the light of God? How can this damage Christian community? How can it damage Gospel witness?
- In which of the following could you most grow? Obedience, Living Like Jesus, or Loving One Another?
Apply What is one way this week that you can show Godʼs love to a fellow brother or sister in Christ?
On Your Front Line this Week
How could you share time with someone else over a meal this week?
Download: some of the family resources to use at home: stbartskids.org
Listen, Watch, and Read
- Listen: “Pandemic Love” by John Dickson
- Listen: “Knowing that we Know God” by Tim Keller
- Listen: “Loving One Another” by Tim Keller
- Listen: “Confident because we Keep his Commands” by William Taylor
- Read: “Why Spiritual Practices are Like Rocket Fuel you need to live more like Jesus” by LICC
- Listen: “Make Our Joy Complete” by Mark Jackson
- Watch: “1-3 John Overview” by the Bible Project
- Learn: “Introduction to 1 John” by the Gospel Coalition
- Read: “The Letters of John (Tyndale New Testament Series)” by John Stott: St Bartʼs Library, Purchase
- Listen: “Confident Christians” Series in 1 John by St Helenʼs Bishopsgate
- Watch: “Johannine Christianity: the Letters” by Open Yale University